On our anniversary weekend last year, there was an upscale Safeway right across from our hotel.
Though we’ve been in tons of Safeway stores (we actually met in one-but that’s another story), this one was styled up with fancy displays, and endless collections of wine. It was exciting to walk in there because it was not your typical grocery store.
I had that same feeling when we walked into Kirkland’s Metropolitan Market.
So, to make it fun-I thought I’d share 7 reasons why we loved it for date night.
1. This isn’t just a store to shop in, it’s an experience. Each section of the store is thoughtfully arranged with gourmet and specialty items. No, prices aren’t Winco level, but the quality is evident by the ingredients and packaging. We delighted walking arm-in-arm, browsing the store.
2. Quiet, mellow atmosphere. Most people include privacy and quiet as a part of the romance factor. This place was just that.
3. Happy couples! We weren’t the only ones. We counted four other couples helping themselves to delicacies in the huge deli/salad bar section of the store. Yay for date night!
4. Lot’s of choices. Hubby, of course, opened up each pot of soup and took long sniffs of bistro mushroom, split pea, and tomato lentil. He approved. We loved that they offered ready-made salads, imported cheese, a huge antipasto bar, and endless deli selections. The big bummer? That we couldn’t try everything!
5. Lots of food for under $20. See the picture below to see how much we scored.
6. Superb service. The man at the deli counter was patient and helpful and didn’t tell us to “shut up and decide what you want already!” when we vacillated on the mouth-watering options. That was nice.
7. A kitchen store on the bottom level. After we finished eating, we checked out the fancy waffle irons and fun and unusual gadgets. As a Mom, I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, so it was fun to see the practical and unusual things they had available.
After we polished down the last crumb, Hubby declared “this has been my favorite grocery store date night so far”.
My favorite was PCC. The overall experience combined with quinoa loves ( I can still taste them! ) made them the winners for me.
But, I have to say Metropolitan Market was a close second for me.
And honestly, we would have never had a reason to go there if it weren’t for me and my crazy ideas for date night. Glad I have a Hubby who is always game for this stuff.
What about you? Have you been to this store yet?
After reading this, would you and your spouse try it for date night?
Metropolitan Market Kirkland
10611 NE 68th St.
Kirkland, WA 98033